SCHOLEAD Archives

February 1998

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dennis Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 16:07:16 -0400
I have been informed by Public Safety that between last night and this
morning two people have been arrested for the January 19, 1998, assault of
Miami students on Vine Street.  The details will unfold in the news as the
day goes on but what I know at this point is:
1.  The two assailants are young adult men, one from Oxford and the other
from Cincinnati -- I don't have their specific ages.
2.  They claim that the assault was random and not based on the supposed
race or sexual orientation of the victims.
3.  The reward money that was collected and offered for leads did, in fact,
help in the apprehension of the assailants.

Watch the media from here on out for more specifics.  I want to thank those
of you who have already moved forward in supporting the "NO HATE" campaign.
I've talked to several faculty, staff and students and the concensus is
that we still need to forge ahead in giving a community message that "NO
HATE" is accepted at Miami and in Oxford.  As we know, although two people
have been arrested, we still have hate, prejudice and violence in our
community and we need to continue to work on this together.  Please
continue to work toward a solution to this in our community.

Thanks,
Denny Roberts

Join the "No Hate" community movement
Silence is permission -- Speak Loudly!