SCHOLEAD Archives

February 1998

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dennis Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 07:42:28 -0400
I wanted to update you on what I know of the progress on the "No Hate"
campaign.  The Institutional Response Team met last night and offered its
full support to the "No Hate" campaign that was stimulated by the showing
of the film by the same name on Sunday night at Leonard Theatre.  A logo
was created by Andrew Powers of Public Safety -- it is the international
sign for "no" over the word hate with the words "Silence is acceptance.
Speak loudly!" around the outside.  This is the logo that will be used in a
campaign to get everyone at Miami and in the Oxford community to post this
in their room, office, car windows or other appropriate place.  This logo
will appear as a full-page STUDENT ad in the Friday paper along with an
update about the Jan. 19 assault and other instructions.

At this point the Institutional Response Team, ASG Senate, IFC and
Panhellenic have all officially endorsed this campaign.  What is needed
from anyone who wishes to be involved is any of the following:
1.  Seek additional organizational endorsements of the cammpaign from
groups with which you are involved.
2.  Stimulate conversations in both formal and informal settings to raise
the consciousness in the community about this concern.  The focus should be
on the importance of our community making a statement that hate and hate
acts are not what our community is about.  I think that each and every one
of us wants to live and learn in a community where we feel safe and we feel
we can move freely and without fear of intimidation or injury.  This is not
a big stretch but, in order to have this, we all need to make it clear what
we will individually accept.
3.  Attend the next "Not in Our Town" presentation and discussion on
Sunday, Feb. 22, 7:00 p.m in Room 1 of Alumni Hall.
4.  If you have a way to reach out into the community, please do so.  If
you have contacts in local businesses, churches, etc., please just take the
initiative.  If there are multiple initiatives, that's fine.  Coordination
and avoidance of overlap is less important than achieving saturation.
5.  If an organization or coalition wants to create buttons from the logo,
this could be a great help.  I have contacts with a button maker who I
think would cooperate with us to expedite an order.

Scott Markland at Western College is coordinating additional efforts and he
would be a good resource to any of you who wish to do something.  I
appreciate your interest and enthusiasm.  Together, we can change our
community climate so that we can all be safe and "at home."

Thanks,
Denny

Dennis C. Roberts
Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs
111 Warfield Hall
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056
(513) 529-3435