SCHOLEAD Archives

February 1998

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jocelyn Hatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:32:13 -0300
Hey people.

You know..........I couldn't sleep last night.  And I ran out of sheep
to count, so I decided to write.  Now I haven't written poetry since
about second grade, but I really used to love it.  All I remember is
that my teachers always told me to write about stuff that I know about.
So that's what I did.  I want to share it with you, my dear friends.
Now it's kind of personal, as poetry can sometimes be, but I would love
any suggestions for improvement.  Here goes.

"Why Does the Second Floor Smell?"

Sometimes, when I can't sleep at night
And I'm sick of the list serve
Because all they do is fight
I just stare up at the shadows
And think, "My friends in Stelliott are alright."

But last night things weren't so right
A smell that no one deserves
Had given me quite a fright
So I opened up my windows
To let it out into the night

Strangly enough, the smell didn't leave
I checked the hall for the source
But it wasn't Shannon's pumpin, kept 'til Christmas Eve
And it wasn't Andy and Mike's shoes
(though they let off a stink you wouldn't believe!!)

So into the bathroom I went
It wasn't the shower at all
Or Rhia's rubber leg thing
Then I heard someone call
So I opened up that stall

And if I'm lyin' somebody spank me
'Cause out popped good old Mr. Hankey
Some people think he isn't so clean
But he told me things no one has seen.
For instance.....

Last week when the stairs got T.P.ed
It was meany Mike and Todd chasing Mr. H. around!
Besides that, he says he likes it in Stelliott
'Cause a crazier bunch just can't be found
So with that said, I'll quit sqwakin'
And I'll yield to some coolio like Adam VanAuken
But before I go I just want to say
Stay warm, eat marsh mallows
And have a great snow day!