SCHOLEAD Archives

January 1998

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Adam Van Auken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:22:42 -0500
Dave,
        Good message.  I have to agree that college is investment (my parents feel
the same way).  Maybe I'm just bitter but I would have to argue that anyone
who thinks college teaches you how to think has been sheltered by mommy and
daddy to long.  Let's face it, college is a super rip-off for the amount of
money it costs.  The only reason anyone should go to college is to prepare
for a career, whether that be in music, art, theater, business, botany,
etc.  If you want to be exposed to a liberal education, go into the real
world. Sure, classes on "Western Civilization" are interesting, but I don't
feel right having my parents shell out $50 an hour so some professor can
lecture me about it.  That's not the way to learn.  Anyone who thinks that
they are getting a "multi-cultural" education at Miami is kidding
themselves.  Sure, this is a good school, but diversity is not one of its
strong points.  Let's face it, were in Oxford Ohio.
        To be frank, it really doesn't matter what Clinton or anyone else says
about whether everyone should be college educated, because its not going to
happen.  If you look at many Ohio schools, you'll see that many have holes
in the ceilings and textbooks from the seventies.  Maybe we should deal
with this matter first.

Adam Van Auken
(513)-529-3982
200 Elliot Hall