THEDRUM Archives

October 2004

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Denise McCoskey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise McCoskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:09:59 -0400
Dear Colleagues,

I heard recently that most volunteers get involved for one simple
reason--they have been asked.  So, consider yourselves asked (in fact,
implored).  America Coming Together and over 20 other progressive
organizations (such as Planned Parenthood and Sierra Club) have
combined their resources to work on a single Get Out The Vote campaign
called "America Votes."  This GOTV effort has one goal:  contact Kerry
supporters this week-end and make sure they are planning to vote and,
on election day, that they get to the polls.  For those of you already
volunteering elsewhere on election day, please consider helping ACT
this Saturday and Sunday--this week-end will be critical in reminding
Kerry voters how serious the election is.  For those of you not yet
committed to an election day effort, please, please consider working
with ACT/America Votes on election day as well.  I guarantee any time
you spend working with ACT over these four days will make a difference.
   You all know how critical Ohio is, and how shady the Republicans are
getting throughout the state--we need every single volunteer to combat
this effort and make sure Kerry supporters don't get intimidated and
discouraged.  We can help make Ohio go blue, but it absolutely depends
on getting as many people as possible in the ground effort.

You can volunteer for any time that suits you by contacting Ross Meyer
(information below).  Please also forward this message to others.

I know everyone is really exhausted at this point--keep up the great
work.  Think how much easier we will rest during the next four years if
we get it done now.

best,
dem

ELECTION DAY GET-OUT-THE-VOTE
The ACT Election Day plan is simple: get every last one of our
supporters to the polls. This is the single most effective way to win.
Walkers in pairs will canvass targeted voters in swing precincts to get
them to the polls and phonebankers will call targeted voters in
unwalkable areas. Many people are taking off all day to help elect
Kerry and other Democrats.  We especially need your help all day long
(5:30am-8:00pm). If you cannot volunteer all day, we still need you for
a couple hours.  Here are the shifts:

Door-to-Door Walking
5:30 am – 8 am  (door-hangers)
9 am – 12 pm
12 pm – 4 pm
4 pm – 7:30 pm

Phonebank
9 am – 12 pm
12 pm – 4 pm
4 pm – 7:30 pm

We also need your help to get-out-the-vote on Election Weekend.  Here
are the shifts:

Saturday, October 30
Phonebank
9am – 12pm
12pm – 3pm
3pm – 6pm

Door-to-Door Walking
10am – 2pm
2pm – 6pm

Sunday, October 31
Phonebank
12pm – 3pm
3pm – 6pm
6pm – 9pm

Door-to-Door Walking
12pm – 4pm
2pm – 6pm

To sign up for a shift, please contact Ross Meyer in Cincinnati at
(513) 281-1500 or [log in to unmask]  You can also sign up online
at www.acthere.com.