THEDRUM Archives

January 2005

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Denise McCoskey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise McCoskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:56:24 -0500
Hi everyone,

You have no doubt been receiving all sorts of advice about how to
contact "key" Senators and appeal to them to join members of the House
in contesting Ohio's electoral votes on January 6.   I would like to
ask that even as you contact progressive Senators from other states,
you also drop a line to DeWine and Voinovich--I think it's important
that our Republican representation in Ohio knows we are watching them
in this matter.  I've given contact information for both Senators
below, as well as a "sample" e-mail I wrote them.  (It is noteworthy
that, unlike the Democratic Senate web contact pages I used, neither of
our fine Senators even lists "voting rights or reform" in their pop-up
of correspondence topics).  Below that is contact information for more
U.S. Senators, just in case you haven't gotten it.   I know there are
all sorts of other things going on in the world, but I think it is
really important to make this last push on behalf of disenfranchised
voters in Ohio and throughout the U.S.

Thanks,
dem

dewine.senate.gov
(use the "click here for webform")

voinovich.senate.gov
(click "contact")

Dear Senator DeWine,

I am one of your constituents and have been dismayed by the general
lack of leadership shown by Ohio politicians with regard to the
breakdown of the Ohio election process.  Being deprived of the right to
vote by questionable legal tactics or being forced to wait for over ten
hours simply to cast a vote (a vote that other Ohioans managed to cast
in fifteen minutes) is not what our forefathers had in mind.  It is
certainly not the kind of democracy we are trying to foster outside our
borders.

This is not a partisan issue, but strikes deeply at the heart of what
it means to be a United States citizen--that each person (regardless of
wealth, sex, race, etc.) have a right to participate equally when it
comes to choosing our representation in government.

So please now act on behalf of your constituents, especially those who
suffered most on election day, and join with members of  Congress in
contesting Ohio's electoral votes on January 6.  Your participation in
this matter will speak volumes about your willingness to demonstrate
moral leadership when it comes to the rights of all your
constitutents--not just the most powerful.

SOME OTHER SENATORS TO CONTACT:

Senator Barbara Boxer, (202) 224-3553,
Senator Dick Durbin, (202) 224-2152, [log in to unmask]
Senator Russ Feingold, (202) 224-5323,
Senator Tom Harkin, (202) 224-3254,
Senator Jim Jeffords, (202) 224-5141,
Senator Edward Kennedy, 202/224-4543,