WIMSE Archives

April 1997

WIMSE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jan Yarrison-Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 16:24:26 -500
     The next two meetings of WIMSE are going to be
very interesting:

Next Meeting:

Monday, APRIL 14, 4-5 PM, in
40 Irvin

Sharon Glassman, Writer/Performer of Monologues based
on true stories  will be performing

WATER  OVER  TIME

a story of two women:  a modern-day Narrator who considers
herself anything but a scientist and Laura bassi, the 18th
century physicist/first female professor of science at University
of Bologna.  WHen Bassi shows up in the Narrator's basement laundry
room one night the Narrator is anything but impressed."of
all the famous people in the world," she says "why did I end
up with you?"

The two women continue to meet and Laura Bassi uses her
life story to tempt the Narrator to look at the world
with more scientific eyes....

A story of women and science...  Please come and invite
all your friends to join us for the  performance. There
will be a question and answer period after the monologue
and a reception to follow -- a good time for conversation
with others about women in science.

MEETING #5 for the semester

A guided hike through Hueston WOods with Dr. Kim Medley, Geography

Sunday, April 27th    1 PM (meet in North end Cooke field parking
lot to give or receive a ride)  time and place at Hueston
WOods is yet to be determined.

Women in the WIMSE residence halls should sign up and request
rides so we can see if we need a van to get everyone there.
WOmen whoe can give rides (and #seats available) should email
me here ([log in to unmask]) and Iwill keep track of the
car pool.

We might bring snacks and drinks for fellowship afterwards.

BUg spray and water for the hike!!

HOPE TO SEE YOU AT BOTH OF THESE INTERESTING WIMSE EVENTS!!

Jan Yarrison-Rice

Associate Professor
Physics Department
Miami University