WIMSE Archives

January 1999

WIMSE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jen Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Women In Mathematics, Science & Engineering (WIMSE)
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:33:51 -0500
Hey Gals!

statistics that I found over the Internet for my Women's Studies course. You
all might find these interesting...

Jen

Women as managers
In 1990 the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported the number of female
managers -- defined by the federal government as executives, administrators,
and managers -- was 6 million. The number of male managers was 9 million.
Private surveys conducted by Korn/Ferry and Catalyst, show that women
represent from 3 percent to 5 percent of all senior managers -- vice
president and above -- in the private sector. In 1991, then Secretary of
Labor Lynn Martin released a Department of Labor Glass Ceiling report which
showed that women held only 6.6 percent of executive level jobs in the 94
companies surveyed.

Popular stereotypes
The findings of a 1992 Korn/Ferry Survey of women in senior management
positions in the Fortune 1000 industrial and 500 service companies refute
many of the popular stereotypes about women that have been cited for why
"they are not senior management material." For example,

* women are not as committed to their careers as men, yet only a third of
the women had ever taken a leave of absence. Almost two-thirds of these
leaves were for less than six months and 82 percent of these leaves were for
maternity or other family reasons. If maternity is controlled for, more men
in the Korn/Ferry surveys took leaves of absence than did women.
* women will not work long hours, yet the respondents in the Korn/Ferry
survey worked an aver age of 56 hours a week in 1992. This is the same
number of hours reported by their male counter parts in a similar 1989
Korn/Ferry survey.
* women cannot or will not relocate, yet only 14.1 percent of the women in
the 1992 survey refused relocation. Twenty percent of their male
counterparts reported refusing relocation in the 1989 Korn/Ferry survey. It
is interesting to note that Korn/Ferry found that women are not asked to
relocate as frequently as men. The failure to provide this opportunity may
prejudice their chances for advancement.
* women lack quantitative skills, yet 23 percent of women and 27 percent of
men have spent most of their corporate careers in finance. Sixteen percent
of men and 26 percent of women are in the commercial banking or diversified
financial sectors.
* women are warmer and more nurturing than men, yet "concern for people" was
cited as important by 33 percent of men and only 18 percent of women in the
Korn/Ferry surveys.