WMUB Archives

August 2000

WMUB@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 07:04:30 -0400
Today's talk shows on WMUB (http://www.wmub.org/Today.html)

Wednesday, August 2, 2000

Several programs this week will cover events at the Republican
National Convention.

Diane Rehm: ambassador Richard Holbrooke; parents' struggle to bring
the Lockerbie bombers to justice
Fresh Air: the early life of George W. Bush; satirist Harry Shearer
on the Republican convention
Public Interest: non-traditional Republicans
Talk of the Nation: conservative Republicans; 10th anniversary of the
Iraqi invasion of Kuwait
All Things Considered: the religious right and the Republican party;
a traditional Cuban dance form survives in Mexico

Friday on WMUB Forum: fighting fat
Monday on Interconnect: home schooling

For questions about Morning Edition, Talk of the Nation, or All
Things Considered, call NPR's Audience Services at (202) 414-3232.
For tapes and transcripts call toll-free 1-877-NPR-TEXT
(1-877-677-8398).

     The Diane Rehm Show, 10-12 noon (*2 full hours live on WMUB)

10-11: Richard Holbrooke: AIDS, global peacekeeping efforts, and
American foreign policy are on the agenda as U.N. Ambassador Richard
Holbrooke joins Diane for a one-on-one conversation.

11-12: Susan and Daniel Cohen: In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 exploded
over Lockerbie Scotland, killing more than 250 people.  One of the
passengers was a young woman of twenty named Theo Cohen. Her parents,
Susan and Daniel Cohen, have written a book about the investigation
into the bombing and their role in the struggle for justice.  ("Pan
Am 103" is published by New American Library)

     Fresh Air with Terry Gross, 12:06-1 p.m.

We talk about the early life of George W. Bush with NICHOLAS KRISTOF
<KRIHST off> who is writing a series of biographical pieces for the
New York Times. And we talk about the Republican National Convention
with satirist Harry Shearer.

     Public Interest

Host: Kojo Nnamdi

CALLING THEMSELVES "BIG TENT" REPUBLICANS, THEY COVER THE SPECTRUM IN
COLORS, ETHNICITIES, AND LIFESTYLES.  THEIR COMMUNITIES HAVE
TRADITIONALLY VOTED DEMOCRAT, BUT BLACK, GAY, HISPANIC AND ASIAN
REPUBLICANS ARE NOW MAKING THEMSELVES SEEN AS WELL AS HEARD WITHIN
THE G-O-P.
         Guests: 1. Jose Rivera, Chairman of the Republican National
Hispanic Assembly; 2. Angela Sailor, Director of African American
Affairs, Republican National Convention; 3. Dave Cattania, Log Cabin
Republicans

     Talk of the Nation, 2-4 p.m.

Host: Juan Williams

HR 1: RNC: CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS: a roundtable of conservative
Republicans discusses the moderate GOP message

HR 2: 10TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE IRAQI INVASION OF KUWAIT: Iraq ten
years after the invasion into Kuwait which ignited the Persian Gulf
War

     All Things Considered, 4-7 p.m.

As the Republican National Convention continues in Philadelphia... a
look at the role of the religious right in the party's politics. ALSO
-- keeping an old Cuban dance form alive. Danzon (dan-ZON) is finding
new life ... in Mexico.

     WMUB Forum, 9-10 a.m., repeated 7-8 p.m., Fridays

Guest host John Hingsbergen with an hour of conversations with
guests, and listener e-mail comments and questions
(http://www.wmub.org/forumcomment.html).

Friday, August 4, 2000:  Fighting Fat

        Americans always seem to want more when it comes to our food.
But what effect does this have on our health, and how can we slim
down without sacrificing our favorites?

     Interconnect, 9-10 a.m., repeated 7-8 p.m., Mondays

John Hingsbergen and Cheri Lawson host a lively hour of discussion on
spirituality, self-care, alternative health care and lifestyle issues
(http://www.wmub.org/interconnect.html).

Monday, August 7, 2000:  Home Schooling

        Guests: Chris and Greg Webb,  parents and in-home teachers of two boys

Cleve Callison <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
**Celebrating 50 years of WMUB * 1950 * 2000**
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
513-529-5958, 513-529-6048 FAX
http://www.wmub.org