ZOO408A Archives

March 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cindy Hurley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:36:43 -0500
Greetings,

The Cardinal Cin's managed to get some birding in this weekend after a dry
spell last month.  Among the birds we saw to add to our Chili Challenge
list were Eastern Meadowlark, Common Grackle, Red-breasted Merganser,
Northern Pintail, Wood Duck and Tundra Swan.

The Tundra Swan is hanging out among the Canada Geese and Wood Ducks at
Hueston Woods in the area near the Nature Center.

Northern Pintails and Red-breasted Merganser's were located off the beach
area at Quackertown Causeway at Brookville Lake.  There were 2 mature
Herring Gulls on the ice in this area and we observed one eating pieces of
fish, throw it up and try to break it into smaller pieces before eating
again.  Yummy.  The N. Shrike is still present in this area also.

At Sagamore Resort we watched 45 Sandhill Cranes land on Buck's Golf
course and 2 mature Bald Eagle's were also present in this area.  One was
on the ice and another perched in the top of a tree overlooking the
marina.  The Coots have moved from the water to land, resembling black tea
pots on legs.

Happy Birding.

The Cardinal Cin's