ZOO408A Archives

March 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:58:06 -0500
Thanks Ned!

I'll also add that for those of you who may have students available who
are looking for projects this summer, perhaps as part of a field methods
in Ornithology or advanced Ornithology course (hint hint), having them
survey a block might be a good project.

Actually, having a student survey a block this summer would be good for
any number of different questions or projects.  The Atlas will be able
to take in GPS coordinates to help map birds within blocks.
Additionally, there has been a lot of work done, previously, on the
breeding birds of Hueston Woods that might be a good comparison, not to
mention the MU Airport.  So there are data sets that can potentially
serve as reference for comparison over time.  For students looking to
get more in depth they could also incorporate GIS technology and compare
habitat types over time versus bird diversity, or various other
questions.

Additionally, the Atlas is also being set up so that banders can input
information as well (especially if you're banding this spring or as part
of MAPS(hint hint).

I should mention that though surveying may sound tedious, it really
won't be because, unlike a Breeding Bird Survey, the Atlas is just
asking you to go out and watch birds like you normally would.

So definitely get out there and get involved, and if you need more
details either check out the Breeding Bird Atlas site, or contact Ned as
your Regional Coordinator.

Thanks,

Casey