ZOO408A Archives

June 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:41:45 -0400
text/plain (1696 bytes) , Dodecatheon.jpg (45 kB) , IMG_7739.jpg (39 kB) , purple pitcherplant.jpg (51 kB) , purple pitcherplant2.jpg (73 kB) , snakemouth orchid.jpg (42 kB) , sundew.jpg (120 kB)
Hi All,

Yesterday (6.17.06) I made a trip up to Brown's Lake Bog Preserve in Wayne
county (south of Wooster, OH).

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/ohio/preserves/art156.
html

The birding was good, but slow.  Some of the highlights (in no particular
order) included a pair of Red-headed Woodpeckers, a Barred Owl, Gray
Catbirds, Wood Thrush, Red-eyed Vireos, Song Sparrow, White-breasted
Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpeckers, Blue Jay and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo (heard
faintly from a distance).

While the birding was good, the bog plants were awesome.

There were a variety of different species of ferns, but by far the most
common was the cinnamon fern (Osmunda cinnamomea) growing throughout the
woods leading back to the bog.

In the bog there were lots of Purple pitcherplants (Sarracenia purpurea)
growing, but only a few were in bloom.

I was also able to find quite a few Roundleaf Sundews (Drosera
rotundifolia).

I was able to find two or three Snakemouth Orchids (Pogonia ophioglossoides)

I also found an interesting tiny Shooting Star (Dodecatheon sp.).  The USDA
Plant Database lists only one type of Shooting Star for Ohio called "Pride
of Ohio" (Dodecatheon meadia), however most species of Dodecatheon show a
multiple flower structure (corymb?), whereas this flower was extremely tiny
and singular.  I'm assuming that it's just an unusual flower form of the
species as most other members of the genus have a more western distribution.

I also found an interesting little pinkish flower that I didn't recognize.
I've attached a photo (IMG_7739) of it in case others might recognize it.

Hope others had a good weekend.

Casey