ZOO408A Archives

May 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 00:45:41 -0400
Hi All,

Sam had some nice photos.  If you're interested in seeing some additional photos that I took while at IMBD this weekend, I've posted some at:  http://caseybirdphotos.blogspot.com/

You can click on the photos to view larger versions.

In some cases the birds were so close that I was using a macro lens to try and photograph them.  At one point I had a Bay-breasted Warbler that fluttered down and attempted to land on me, and then later on my camera.

Like Ned, one of the more interesting birds I saw was an unusually-colored sparrow.  A leucistic White-crowned Sparrow was feeding on the ground around the feeders at the Crane Creek/Magee Marsh Bird Center.  I was able to get an o.k. photo of the bird for documentation purposes: http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/276/4443/1024/IMG_7309.jpg

On Friday afternoon we visited the Black Swamp Bird Observatory's Navarre Marsh banding station where one of the big highlights for me was a first year Sharp-shinned Hawk: http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/276/4443/1024/IMG_7301.jpg

From there we went to the Magee Marsh boardwalk, and before we even stepped foot onto the boardwalk birds were literally dripping off the trees.  On one tree, at the western platform entrance to the boardwalk, there were several Magnolia Warblers, Blackburnian Warblers, Bay-breasted Warblers, Black-throated Green Warbler, Eastern Phoebe, and a nesting American Robin, all being photographed and gawked at by a myriad of awe-struck birdwatchers, like myself.

The big highlight for me was seeing a number of Blackburnian Warblers, which I think have to be one of my all-time favorite warblers: http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/276/4443/1024/IMG_7463.jpg

The species that seemed to be on everyone's lips was the Golden-winged Warbler, partly because there seemed to be so many and partly because of the relative ease with which they were found.  On Friday we encountered two Golden-winged Warblers, one of which was in song (http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/276/4443/1024/IMG_7373.jpg).  On Saturday I saw another, but there were at least three reported from the boardwalk.

Another bird that folks were looking for was a Mourning Warbler, which I was able to get a quick look at.

A couple of additional things that were interesting was that we spoke with Mark Shieldcastle at Black Swamp.  He said that the big push of migrants arrived on Wednesday last week, and that they had banded between 500-600 birds that day.  Over the course of a couple of days, from when they arrived, he was able to see a deterioration in the condition of the birds, presumably due to the poor weather inhibiting some of the insect activity.  Additionally, the cooler nights may also have caused the birds to use more of the fat they were depositing over the course of the day while feeding as well as what they had already packed on before they arrived.  Hopefully the weather will improve soon and they'll be able to feed and continue on their way to their breeding grounds.

Tanagers, Grosbeaks, and Lincoln's Sparrows seemed rather low in abundance, and informal reports from other folks there suggest an interesting movement of these birds.  A birder from Indiana said that they had had quite a few reports of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks being reported from feeders and backyards through parts of Indiana (note: I haven't checked the Indiana listservs to see what the extent of the reports were).  Additionally, a friend from Canton said they took a jet express shuttle over to Pt. Pelee where they encountered quite a few Tanagers.

Lastly we squeezed in a visit through the Ottawa NWR auto tour before the heavy rain hit late in the afternoon on Saturday.  The highlights there included quite a few Dunlin, Greater & Lesser Yellowlegs (side-by-side, in the same pose, in the same scope field of view for a nice comparison), and Dowitcher sp.

Hope others had good experiences up there.

Take care & good birdwatching!

Casey