ZOO408A Archives

May 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 10:34:19 -0400
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 10:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Brown Pelican Still Present, Roxanna Gravel Pit

Howdy All,
Some good news and perhaps bad news.  First the good news.  The Brown
Pelican
was still present this morning at the  Martin Marietta Sand & Gravel
Pits on
Roxanna-New Burlington Road near Spring Valley WA.  I arrived there at
about
7:00 am as did Hank Armstrong and Bobby Foppe.  We scanned the
impoundment on
the north side of the road but did not find the bird.  However, Bobby
walked
over to the hill on the south side of the road and looked south, got
excited but
it was a false alarm.  However, Hank and I joined him, and I did find
the Brown
Pelican on a small island.  We watched it preening until Dan Sanders and
Kurt
(spelling?) arrived.  They also saw the bird.  I was able to take some
long
distance digiscoped photos and will share them with Mike Busam this
evening for
the new website.  Can't do it sooner, as I'm at work now.

Now the bad news.  We naively assumed that we could walk up the hill on
the
south side of the road to look into the south impoundment, because there
were no
No Trespassing signs.  However, a representative of the gravel pit drove
out and
told us that we could not be there, because it was an active mine, so we
left.
However, it is OK to park on the north side at the pull off spot,
provide that
one does not walk beyond the no trespassing signs on the north side.
Dan and
others explained why we were there, and how rare a Brown Pelican is in
Ohio.
PLEASE RESPECT THE WISHES OF THE GRAVEL PIT COMPANY.  It may take a
longer vigil
from the north side pull off, but the bird was still there this morning
and may
fly around today as it did yesterday.  When we left, the bird had tucked
its
head for some more snoozing.  It looked like a round boulder on the
shore of the
island.
Jay
Jay G. Lehman