ZOO408A Archives

May 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 22:38:45 -0400
D'oh!  Ned's correct.  I misread the calendar.  The month columns didn't line up with the occurrence columns, so when I looked directly under the May column there was nothing there so I interpreted that as absence.

One of the things that Ned correctly points out is that you should expect to find a White-crowned Sparrow in early May in decent habitat (as in one or two birds in a handful of locations--if I understand correctly), but I think what folks are noticing is that they're showing up across the state with a little more frequency than you might expect so that instead of just finding one or two in the right kinds of habitats they're also showing up in backyard feeders and places you might not expect them at this time of year.

Based on reports from across the state, and looking at some data from Black Swamp Bird Observatory we can get an idea of what might be happening with White-crowned Sparrows right now across the state.  BSBO typically posts occurrence dates when they first see a species in their nets, and when they last see a species in their nets.  Additionally, they post peak capture dates & #'s.  The peak migration date from BSBO could be interpreted as when a species is most congregated along the lakefront, and therefore more likely to be caught in nets.  Here is some information thus far:

Species	 First /Last capture	 Peak capture [date (max #)]	 Total

White-crowned sparrow (2006)	 5/1/2006	 5/2 (7)	 13

White-crowned sparrow (2005)	 4/27-5/30	 5/7 (21)	 83

White-crowned sparrow (2004)	 4/29-5/22	 5/6 (18)	 69

White-crowned sparrow (2003)	 4/28 – 5/23	 5/16 (9)	 43

White-crowned sparrow (2002)	 4/24 – 5/23	 5/6 (9)	 49

White-crowned sparrow (2001)	 5/1 – 5/17	 5/10 (10)	 58

So their first encounter with White-crowned Sparrow this year was May 1st, as in 2001, and so far their max capture has been 7 birds on May 2nd, and they've only caught 13 total thus far (this information was updated yesterday).  Note that in 2001 the duration of White-crowned migration through the lakefront was pretty much concentrated into a 16 day period, but from 2002-2005 White-crowned migration occurred over the course of roughly a month.  It will be interesting to see how this year compares, and whether that peak date & number changes.

You can see that the first encounter this year is lagging behind the past few years by anywhere from 3 days to as many as 8 days, but is dead-on for 2001.

It would be interesting to see what other banders are seeing in their nets across the state right now, and then compare that to the reports of birders.

Thanks again & happy birdwatching!

Casey