ZOO408A Archives

June 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 19:02:06 -0400
Greetings
We had our first MAPS [Monitoring Avian Population and Survivorship}
banding session at the Big Woods on Monday. Fortunately the closed canopy
kept out most of the rain.  We banded a single Prothonotary Warbler last
year--an SY female--and we recaptured her again this year [see photos]!  We
also banded not one, but two males with her (we caught her twice Mon
morning each time with a different male!).  One of the males was absolutely
brilliant [see photo]! Yesterday we banded at MUBO and still had a few
warblers, flycatchers, etc but things are starting to slow down.  We
continue to band lots of American Goldfinches including this brilliant ASY
male that maintained his basic feathers around the neck like a collar [see
photo]. Also a just hatched Periodical Cicada with poor time management
skills was noted--I'm not sure how many others missed last years emergence.
During our MAPS banding we located a Worm-eating Warbler male that appeared
to be singing on a territory in the Big Woods--if you want directions
contact me.
Cheers
Dave

I JUST RECEIVED NOTE THAT THE FILE IS TOO LARGE-I'LL TRY TO SEND IN PIECES