OHIOFIRE Archives

June 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Wadleigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 14:05:15 -0400
We, too, have wrestled with this issue.  It is our position, at this time, that Public Safety needs to know the location of mobility impaired individuals, then we can effect a rescue.

I have also suggested employees have both an ethical and legal obligation to be prepared to assist handicapped individuals.  However, this stops of physically carrying them and a wheelchair down a flight of stairs.  Defending in place or effective rescue by a trained crew are the two options we employ.

We've talked extensively to our university committee on persons with disabilities about this and understand that a chair represents someone's mobility; but in an emergency life safety is first and property recovery (i.e. the chair) is second.

I also know of other colleges/universities and K-12 schools who use some type of chair mover on a regular basis to transport people from one point to another (i.e. class changes), so I would suspect at those institutions it would be expected they would be moved along with their chair, for fire evacuation.

I, too, would welcome any suggestions. Thanks to all who respond.

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/21/00 10:39AM >>>
Questions have been raised about conducting fire drills and assisting
persons with disabilities.  Stairwells are to serve as areas of safe refuge,
but how are ADA issues handled?  If a wheelchair is involved, do we take the
person to a stairwell and have them wait for assistance, or carry them down
for the drill?
Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
B.J. Simmons

B.J. Simmons
Fire and Safety Coordinator
The University of Texas at San Antonio