WMUB Archives

October 2000

WMUB@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cleve Callison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:25:56 -0400
Dear friend of WMUB,

I'm writing to a group of friends and supporters of WMUB who have
been kind enough to supply us with email addresses. I would like to
let you know about two very exciting developments as we approach this
week's 50th anniversary year fundraising campaign.

First of all, you should know that we are today launching our
newly-designed web site for your NPR station. The address is the
same, but the look and the the options are brand-new and, we hope,
more user-friendly than ever. We'll have, as before, brief
descriptions of our daily talk shows, plus links to a program grid
and national program sources and instructions for listening to WMUB
on-line. In the coming weeks we will be adding new features,
including a searchable archive of local news stories.

Our web designer is Miami University senior Steve McFarland, who in
his other life as a radio producer was responsible for last year's
award-winning radio series "The Sound of Faith," and who is often
heard on WMUB in a variety of roles. Steve has designed web sites for
the Departments of Religion and Zoology at Miami, among others. The
address of our new site is the same as before:
        http://www.wmub.org

Second, you will note that we're about to begin the fall fund drive.
Our goal for the 50th anniversary fall fund drive is to surpass the
previous record drive, set last spring, of $53,000. Specifically, we
hope to set a new record for pledges on-line. We believe that
electronic and email pledges can open the way for new funding sources
for WMUB that in the future may enable us to depend less on on-air
drives. In order to do this, we are designating Wednesday of this
week (October 25th, 2000) as "Web Wednesday." We will give away a
weekend for two at Hueston Woods Resort Lodge, with the winner to be
chosen from among all pledges received before 5 p.m. that day. (It is
not necessary to make a pledge to enter the contest, but we hope most
folks will).

All pledges directly support the programming budget of WMUB,
including NPR's Morning Edition and All Things Considered, plus our
talk show lineup featuring Diane Rehm and our own Darrel Gray,
Marianne Russ, John Hingsbergen and Cheri Lawson, plus Car Talk,
Garrison Keillor, local music hosts such as Mama Jazz, Sam Meier, Don
Leshner and Jan McLaughlin, and much more. If you have already made a
pledge for this fall, you are already entered. If you would like to
go ahead and make a pledge, or just enter the contest, please visit
our web site.

As always, WMUB never penalizes early pledgers. All premiums are
available throughout the drive, through midnight November 1. All
pledgers are eligible for all daily prizes and drawings. The earlier
you enter, the greater your chance to win. (Note: your pledge means
that you are automatically entered for all prizes except the Grand
Prize of a $250 Shopping Spree from Borders of Dayton. For that
prize, you must return a mail entry form which we will send you).

We hope that you will find http://www.wmub.org more friendly and
useful than ever. Thank you for visiting!

Cleve Callison <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
General Manager, WMUB Public Radio
**Celebrating 50 years of WMUB * 1950 * 2000**
Williams Hall, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056
513-529-5958, 513-607-1201 cell, 513-529-6048 FAX
http://www.wmub.org