ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:57:50 -0800
I'm among those who believe that a conscious knowledge of grammar isn't
necessary to being an excellent writer. This is because I believe that
one internalizes any grammar with sufficient exposure and motivation.
The exposure in this case would be reading many, many well-written
texts. I also believe this because writing happens too fast for one to
be constantly consciously consulting the many rules that come into play.
In editing, one might think about the rules that govern a construction,
but I do just as much editing just by 'feel'. I don't recall thinking to
myself 'oh I need an appositive here'--I just put the appositive or
whatever in without thinking about what it is.

But maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to start observing my students to see if
those who write exceptionally well already consciously know a lot of
grammar. Somebody ought to do a study.

I do believe in teaching grammar, however. It's the metalanguage needed
for talking about language. And it CAN be a terrific aid in editing.
There's a mistake I don't want to make: trusting a grammar course to
make students into good writers. They need to be reading lots of good
models and thinking critically, practicing writing and editing their
writing, etc. I wonder about schools that claim that their grammar
instruction is what makes their students good writers. I bet students do
lots of reading and critical thinking in those schools, too. Maybe it's
all of a piece and all needed.

Johanna Rubba   Assistant Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  • San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  •  Fax: (805)-756-6374 • Dept. Phone.  756-259
• E-mail: [log in to unmask] •  Home page: http://www.cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba