OHIOFIRE Archives

April 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Basher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:28:07 -0400
At Colgate University we charge $150.00 for tampering with a detector or
damaging a fire safety device like a pull station or a sprinkler head or
piping.
When a pull station is maliciously activated for a false alarm the case is
labeled "falsely reporting an incident" and is arrested by the police
department. Then the person is brought before the local judge.  The Judge
charges about $500.00 and around 100 hours of community service in the
village. When the student gets that behind him or her, then it's off to the
Judiciary Board on Campus, where a whole new set of charges are brought
forth.  A fine, apology and community service on campus is usually the
charge + academic warning or probation.  This is only for University owned
buildings.  For off campus (Greek) they are seldom investigated by the local
police unless there is an actual fire or someone is hurt.

John Basher
Assistant Director of Fire Safety
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive