THEDRUM Archives

January 2004

THEDRUM@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rodney Coates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:16:54 -0500
To: "Mary Jane Berman" <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Invitation to dinner with K. Anthony Appiah

Colleagues,

Kindly join me and our guest speaker, Dr. K. Anthony Appiah, for
dinner
on

Thursday
January 29, 2004
5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
212 MacMillan Hall
R.S.V.P. by January 21 to Dorothy Falke (9-8309) or [log in to unmask]

Dorothy will be contacting you re: choice of menu, once you have let us
know that you will be attending.

Dr. Appiah's lecture, "Making a Life", which takes place on Wednesday,
January 28, at 7:00 p.m. in Hall Auditorium, is co-sponsored with the
Black World Studies Program.

The content of this lecture concerns the role of our social
identities in structuring the ethical project of planning our lives.
Appiah will explore the work of John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), who
believed that each of us should play the central part in planning and
managing our own lives. This ideal of individuality is essentially an
idea in the ancient field of ethics, as Aristotle understood that term,
because
Aristotle meant by ethics something like 'normative reflection on the
making of our lives.' Making a life requires not only attention to our
obligations to other people (and, of course, to animals and, perhaps,
various aspects of the natural world) but also the evaluation of
projects -- among them friendship, marriage, career, vocation -- whose
success or failure will determine whether our lives, taken as a whole,
are successful."

Kindly share this information with members of your department and
please encourage your students and colleagues to attend the
presentation.  To learn more about Dr. Appiah and the work of the
Center, please visit our website: http://www.cawc.muohio.edu; click on
Calendar of Events; then, click on Appiah. This will take you into a
Resources Page with a biography, interview, book reviews, and other
materials about or by Dr. Appiah.

Sincerely,

Mary Jane Berman, Director
Center for American and World Cultures;
Associate Professor, Anthropology
105 MacMillan Hall
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056
http://www.cawc.muohio.edu

  rodneyc..

  If we are to combat the insanity of our world, we need to explore love,
self, and each other.  Join me in this exploration

  When love reigns supreme, then we will see the beauty of our existence!

  Please check out my new series: The Art of Love at the following url:

http://communities.msn.com/TheArtofLovefortheEmotionallyImpaired/_whatsnew.msn

  More Generally: My poetry can be found at:

  http://gw.cas.muohio.edu/umoja/www.ulbobo.com/umoja/index.html