ZOO408A Archives

December 2004

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TUCKER, Casey
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:35:12 -0500
It's never too late to put up an owl box.  Nest boxes not only serve as nesting locations in the spring and summer, but also serve as roosting boxes and shelters from the weather during the more inclimate months for many bird species.

You may want to consider putting the box along a wooded edge.  Even better is an wooded edge near a pond or stream (shallow water) as screech owls commonly prey on frogs, small snakes, mice, and occasionally salamanders.

Prior to placing your nest box you may want to consider doing a quick survey to make sure the site isn't already a part of a Great Horned Owl or Barred Owl territory.  Both readily feed on smaller owls if they can get them.

Screech Owls can be sitting on eggs as early as mid- to late-February which means they're setting up territories and attracting mates as early as December or January, perhaps even earlier.

Now, all that being said screech owls tend to be tolerant of a variety of habitats ranging from extreme urban (I think there was one reported in a dead tree in the heart of Cincinnati 2 or 3 years ago) to extreme rural, and everything in between (there was one calling in a tree adjacent to Reid & Pearson halls on the MU campus 4 or 5 years ago).

Good luck & keep us all posted.

Casey