ZOO408A Archives

January 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:35:15 -0500
Just when you thought we can't push the envelope any further! After seeing
all the great info from Mike I took another look at the photos of the 4
hatch-year White-crowneds I banded and surprisingly one of the individuals
appears to fit the description from our banders guide-the Pyle guide.  Pyle
states that gambelii [Gambel's White-crowned Sparrow](which overwinters CA
- TX) hatch-year (HY) individuals have moderately distinct grayish-brown
auricular (ear) with upper lores pale grayish brown not contrasting with
supercilium. Leucophrys [Eastern White-crowned Sparrow] have a moderately
distinct brownish auricular and upper lores dark gray to dark brown
contrasting with the pale gray or white supercilium.  I'm having difficulty
with the "upper lores" in that it should appear like the adult--a dark line
'cutting off ' the supercilium from the lores area. I included two
individuals of what I figure is the typical Eastern White-crowned (band
numbers xxxx-xx586 and 587) brown cheeks and pink bills--and a third
individual that appears to be an imm Gambel's--grayish brown cheeks and an
orange-pink bill. What do you think?
Dave