ZOO408A Archives

November 2005

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:14:45 -0500
Greetings... This morning, my daughter Grace and I were inflating and
deflating and inflating and deflating the campy, eight-foot tall inflatable
Santa Claus that stands near our front door for the season, when a winter
wren landed on the front step near a holly bush, jip-jipping and fluttering
against the front door for all it was worth. Just then, a juvenile Cooper's
hawk flew over our shoulders, landed on the step, did a little dance with
the wren, nabbed the wren in a talon, flew across the street into an oak
tree, and had a tiny meal. We were within fifteen feet or so of the event.

Between the Santa Claus, the winter wren at the front door next to a holly
bush, and then the Cooper's hawk swooping in for the kill, I'm fairly
overwhelmed by this funny  mix of references to any of number of ancient and
modern Christmas and winter solstice myths.

Season's greetings, I guess!

Take care,
---Mike Busam
West Chester, OH