ZOO408A Archives

April 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 11:44:05 -0400
Greetings!
We finally got a chance to band at our Hueston Woods location
yesterday.  Despite having to find and replace many poles from non-banding
activities that overran our research site in previous weeks, we are now
back on track!! We banded 17 individuals, recaptured 6 previously banded
individuals from 8 species, highlights included Winter Wren (1), Brown
Thrashers (2), Golden-crowned Kinglets (5), Field Sparrows (2, including an
individual first banded 5Nov2005),  Downy Woodpecker, and White-throated
Sparrows [WTSP] (2 plus 4 recaptures).  The White-throated Sparrows are
really cool!! Two individuals were recaptured from 2004! 305 and 312 were
first banded 19April2004, both were banded on the same day.  Both
individuals were recaptured 9April2005 and then again yesterday
5April2006.  We have not recaptured either bird at any other time during
the year.  The other two WTSP's we recaptured were initially banded last
fall (3Nov2005 or 19Nov2005).  A possible scenario for this pattern is we
have our resident over-wintering WTSP's (the ones banded last year) and we
have birds pushing through as they migrate northward--the cool part is if
they are birds migrating northward A) they travel together (a pair?) year
after year, B) they follow the same pattern each year in areas they use for
refueling C) they roughly follow the same schedule each year at those
refueling locations--think about the implications from a conservation
perspective! It is these tantalizing bits of data that make all this work
so rewarding!!!
Other interesting notes: N. Rough-winged Swallows are back at the dam (as
are hundreds of Tree Swallows), Brown Thrashers are actively signing
throughout the banding station. It looks like Golden-crowned Kinglets are
pushing northward--we banded 5 but flocks of 25-30 birds were frequently
seen around the station (couple Ruby-crowned mixed in) E. Phoebes singing
as were Winter Wrens (banded one).
Cheers!!
Dave