ZOO408A Archives

April 2006

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 15:57:19 -0400
Greetings!
A partial skeleton was brought to me of a raptor with a leg band. I don't
recognize the code--does not appear to be USGS, anyone recognize it? I'll
get more info regarding the skeleton soon.
In regards to Mike's post on Black Vultures, as most in Oxford are well
aware we over wintered between 25 and 30 Black Vultures at Hueston Woods SP
this year. For the last 5 or 6 years we have had only a couple each winter
(but I think nearly 60 over wintered at Brookville this past winter!) They
have become a nuisance at the Nature Center showing the same disdain for
people as I've seen Black Vultures show in the south (ours used to be
pretty skittish). We also have a large population of Canada Geese at Acton.
Yesterday I watched a Black Vulture slinking through the underbrush on the
island at the marsh, an area that is solid Canada Goose nests.  The geese
were standing, wings flared, making a huge ruckus, but the vulture appeared
to be unperturbed.  Four other Black Vultures sat on the sand spit watching
idly.  I'm very curious to see if the years of huge goose populations at
Acton are a thing of the past because of our new Black Vulture populations.
Dave