RESCOMP Archives

January 2007

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
jaime combariza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, jaime combariza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:51:32 -0500
So here is what I found. I have Matlab 2006b for powerpc (installed
on a Mac/Intel machine) and matlab 2006b for mac/Intel (beta version).

The beta version allows the user to use Java to display graphics and
other windows. Using this beta version I was able to display the plot
and use the "Copy figure" option  (Edit). However, this is kind of a
snapshot of the plot window. When I place it inside Word (paste) it gives me
the side of the window as well. If I save this plot into a file and
then insert it to the word documents it shows well:

1 - click on the save icon (menu)  [or File, save as]
2 - type in the name of the file
3 - select the place where you want this file
4 - select what format, example JPEG Format jpg)
5 - save it.

For the powerpc version of matlab. It does not use Java  (matlab -nojvm)

This plot does not give you many options (Edit). You need to save it
into a file and then insert it
to the word document.
"File"  'save as' will give you a window with the path where the file
is to be saved. Change it to
the proper place (Users/user-directory or Desktop), change name of
file and type of file.

The beauty of matlab and Mac's

At 08:51 AM 1/29/2007, you wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>Some of my students using Matlab on Mac can't seem to find out how
>to export a figure for inclusion in a Word document.  My Windows
>documentation doesn't have any instructions for Mac, so I'm at a
>loss as to what to tell them.  In principle, it should be possible
>to dump the figure to a JPEG, GIG, PDF, or EPS file and then open it
>in Word.  Most of these (as well as Copy Figure) work under
>Windows.  Any thoughts on how to do this?
>
>By the way, only the plot and annotations inside the figure window
>are supposed to be exported, not a screenshot of the whole figure window.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Steve

_______
Jaime E. Combariza, Ph.D.