ZOO408A Archives

January 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:40:33 -0500
Greetings!!
Winter has finally made an appearance!!  Yesterday morning (with our 4X4
vehicle) Jill and I took a spin around Union Co, IN looking for winter
birds. In the snow and freezing mist the N. Shrike was still present at
Dunlapsville; Killdeer were on what little exposed mud that is left (after
last weeks floods) at Treaty Line Rd; and 100's of Horned Larks are now
along the plowed country roads, such as Stone Rd (north of Hwy 27). In
addition to Horned larks, we saw close to 100 of Quiz Bird 2 mixed in among
the larks--this picture was taken in the driving wind and snow on Stone
Rd.  We also found Quiz Bird 1 (for another angle see Quiz Bird 1b) on
Stone Rd yesterday, unfortunately the conditions were terrible for
photography, but it should make a fun challenge.  Finally, late last week,
Tim Tolford, a friend and fellow bander, and I set up nets at his feeders
near Brookville Lake looking for a Purple Finch--no Purple Finch, but a
nice couple hours of typical feeder birds including Quiz bird 3.
Good Luck!!
Dave