ZOO408A Archives

January 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:24:04 -0500
Greetings!
Make a quick dash around Acton and Dunlapsville at Brookville this
afternoon to see if any of the Snow Geese reported around Cincinnati had
made it up our way. No luck. However, a Red-shouldered Hawk was surveying
the Dunlapsville Causeway when I arrived.  Although windy, with poor light,
the beauty of this bird is still amazing! Did a single drive by for the
shrike--not obvious; no cranes or Dunlin found on the much reduced mudflats
(from recent rain); numerous Killdeer still around [over 50], however--even
in mid January!! Imm Herring Gull was at Acton with 5 or 6 Bonapart's and a
ton of Ring-bills. 17 Black Vultures were on the sand bar in the marsh at
the north end of Acton and 5 were sitting in the same tree with the
Red-shoulder at Brookville.  3 more were seen flying over College Corner on
the way to Brookville--these birds are exploding in numbers around here!!!
I hope we get a break in the rain with lab tomorrow!!! For Wednesday's lab
we had beautiful weather [about 35-40 degrees a clear skies] and the birds
were very cooperative right here in our own backyard outside Pearson Hall!!
We had great looks at White-breasted Nuthatches, Downy and Red-bellied
Woodpeckers, along with a beautiful Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Brown
Creeper, Carolina Wren, and numerous Golden-crowned Kinglets.
Cheers
Dave