OHIOAIR Archives

February 2007

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"S. Hoagland" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:10:38 -0800
Interesting perspectives indeed.  Now, imagine one
alternative: institutions hiring IR'ers as consultants
and paying them accordingly, as opposed to hidden
intents to hire them for a one- or two-year stint
while effectively attempting to demonstrate a deep
commitment to quality assurance; visiting teams seem
to be accepting or ignoring patterns quite apparent at
some private/not-for-profit institutions.

It seems the need to demonstrate true continuous
quality improvement would create a sustainable, rather
than a temporal, demand for IR'ers--certainly,
continuity is a basic tenet behind the AQIP endeavor.
As an AQIP design consultant and a member of the first
class of it strategy facilitators, I find the
disconnect very interesting and perplexing.

Is gaining accreditation on the cheap really
fulfilling the public charter and trust (NPOs are
expected to operate accordingly) and serving students,
society well?

Certainly, there are some valid rumblings created by
the Spellings' group...okay...okay...I will stop now
and seek a more appropriate (offline) forum to address
these concerns.  All ideas are invited and welcome.

Thanks again for tolerating my indulgence!

Steve

--- "Fenton, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>

http://www.ncahlc.org/index.php?institution=&state=OH&submit=Search&form
> _submitted=TRUE&option=com_directory&showquery=
> > or http://www.chea.org/search/search.asp.
> >
> > I am uncertain about your recent experiences, but
> some
> > recruiters and search committees with which I had
> > recent interactions seem baffled by the question
> "What
> > commitment does your institution have toward
> > institutional research, strategic and
> effectiveness
> > planning, etc.?"
> >
> > Those answers of late seem to indicate a
> commitment to
> > the cycle referenced above. By the way, exercise
> > caution when reviewing current and future
> employment
> > opportunities even those posted on the AIR
> website.
> > IMHO, there are some institutions around that are
> > always looking for a few good what might be called
>
> > "accreditation prostitutes" for the lack of a
> better
> > phrase.
> >
> > Is there any interest in such a topic? If so, do
> you
> > know anyone who could effectively speak to the
> topic?
> > As a plausible research project, it would be
> difficult
> > to obtain informed consent from the research
> subjects.
> >
> > Thank for your attention and consideration!
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Steve Hoagland

> > Never miss an email again!
> > Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail
> arrives.

Get your own web address.