ZOO408A Archives

March 2007

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Caitlin Zematis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:28:03 -0500
Last week my friend and I went out birding at Rush Run, we saw some cool
birds like a red-tailed hawk and northern mockingbird, but there was also
a new bird which my friend had seen a week prior in the same area. We
thought by looking through our field guides was a male orchard oriole in
its breeding plumage.  The rusty orange (or reddish) breast was very
distinct.  I talked to Dr. Russel and was informed that it was highly
unlikely to see an orchard oriole at this time of year but told me to put
this out on the list serve so that others might be able to identify what
it was we saw.  The two times we saw it it was by the shooting range and
by the entrance to the lake which are right near one another.  If people
don't know how to get there here are directions:
take 127 to 744 east until it dead ends into main street.  Take a right on
main street and a left on east church street (there should be a school on
the right hand side).  At the stop sight turn left onto Bulldog Dr. which
becomes somerville west elkton rd.  stay straight onto northern rd and
turn left onto Pogue Frazee rd.  The lake entrance is a little less than a
mile on the right hand side and the shooting range is just around the bend
from the lake entrance on the left hand side.  If anyone could help us out
that would be great!
caitlin