ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2010 11:22:57 -0400
I wonder if that's not what I call "folk song drift" (there's probably a
more formal term for the phenomenon).  Every person interprets a
song/arranges a song differently, and what I see in folk music is a lot of
word replacement/phrase shifting.  Sometimes its deliberate and for the
best: "Johnny Come Down to Hilo" originally opened with "Never seen the like
since I been born, a big buck nigger with his sea boots on."  Clearly not
appropriate for a modern audience!  The Mystic Seaport's chanty men changed
the line to "Never seen the like since I was born, an Arkansas farmer with
his sea boots on."  The meaning is the same, but avoids the inappropriate
terminology.  Other times it's a matter of the singer remembering a line
wrong, or adding a new phrase to an old tune, or even forgetting the lyrics
and improvising.

I'm not sure what the original line was in Summertime; I know Sarah Vaughan
sang: "Oh your Daddy's rich and your Ma's good lookin'", for whatever that's
worth.

-patty