SAKAIALL Archives

October 2010

SAKAIALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
IT Services Sakai Team <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:46:50 -0400
Thanks Bob.

So on the list, is there some reason why everyone (e.g. "all")
involved in the migration process isn't subscribed? I suggested this
list precisely because it's hard to keep track of what's going on in
different committees, and because there are going to be issues (like
this one) that are cross-cutting.

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Black, Bob <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Right now, it seems like we're rather focused on helping people understand and absorb the migration from Blackboard and that the broader picture of where Sakai is headed is less important.
>
> I agree, however, that we should not wait until the project is over to start talking about "what's next" and keeping the community engaged in imagining out across the horizon.
>
> Random thought -- would it be helpful to have someone (ideally a faculty, not an IT folk) write a blog entry on the website about where he or she sees to future of sakai at Miami? Perhaps allude to some of the operationally-oriented issues like governance but paint the broader picture? Perhaps link off to any relevant sakai community resources (articles, blogs, videos, etc) that describe the future of sakai.

Makes sense.

> I don't think we know enough "real" information about Sakai 3 yet, or the Hybrid model, to make any concrete statements, but there are certainly abstract elements that we can all allude too.

Yes, I get that. 2.7 has to be the priority now.

But at some point we need to make a decision about how to approach 3,
and to explain it more broadly.

Concretely, if we hire people to do programming, what platform should
they prioritize? If we have users eager to try Sakai 3 early, how do
we accommodate them?

I realize detailed answers on these questions must depend on how well
the programming team can keep pace with the roadmap (which,not
surprisingly, has already slipped a bit).

Maybe even more importantly, the current state of Sakai 3 is a problem
because it's not done, but it's also a huge opportunity for MU to help
shape its evolution, whether by spending time contributing to use case
and requirements documents, or dedicating programming resources to
actually implement features, or doing more formal pilot testing and
feedback.

Indeed, I've already been contributing to some of the development and
use case discussions, but this is really not part of my job
description.

--
Bruce D'Arcus
Associate Professor, Graduate Director