MU-VMS Archives

January 1994

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Joe Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS News <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 1994 17:24:54 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (RODNEY CAIN, Miami Univ., Oxford, Ohio, USA)
says:

>>       When I connect at 14.4 with all the extras, I get either one of two
>> things:
>>
>>       * NO connect message from my modem, pause for a second or two, then
>>         just TONS of garbage, then no carrier.  This happens almost every
>>         time I call in at 14.4 with extras.

  This sounds like a problem at our end.  We will look at the modems
again.  They were tested last week.

There have been no changes to the modem set up strings.

>I have the EXACT same problem.  The modems worked fine previously except that
>would get a CRC error approximately every 30 packets when doing Z-Modem
>Downloads from the vax.  I can sit and watch my CPS indicator and when it hits
>1600 . . . CRC error.  It then continues for 30 or so more packets and the
CRC errors at the ZMODEM protocol level or the Modem to moden synchronous
packet level?  If its at the zmodem packet level then something other
than the modem analog channel is corrupting the packets.  It is curoius
that it would happen every thirty packets.  I would be interested to
learn if the problem is reproducible with Kermit.  Perhaps you could
set kermit for long packets and try that.

  No change.  I Don't think
>the problem is on my end since I have no problems calling anyone else.  I can
>still connect at 2161 without problems.
>
>I did have one problem with the 9600 modems previously, but it is now solved.
>I was unable to do Z-modem downloads of zip files (ascii files worked fine)
>until I realized that the Miami 9600 modems usually connect with a MNP-5
>connection and MNP-5 + zip files (compressing compressed files) is a no go
>situation.
From my point of view the problem is at both ends until it works.
You can force MNP-5 connections to the 14.4 modems if you like although
as you point out, zmodem and MNP-5 are not a useful combination.

The 9600 bps modems do not accept v.42bis connections.  This is because
we couldn't configure them to avoid flow control problems with v.42bis.
I suspect that we could change that, but I would prefer to leave them
alone in the hope that they will remain a stable service.
Joe Simpson