MUEMAIL Archives

February 1994

MUEMAIL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Electronic Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 1994 10:01:48 -0400
Welcome to Miami's Electronic Mail, now available as both a new
NetNews newsgroup (mu.electronic-mail) and its original LISTSERV
list (MUEMail).  As though of you who have been on the list since
its inception last summer / autumn know, Miami is in need of
enterprise-wide strategic direction for its electronic mail.

Growing out of a charge from the Microcomputing Committee and
the Divisional Representatives, this forum is intended and has
been serving as an avenue for the solicitation and discussion of
ideas to help us determine that strategic direction.  In addition,
an ad hoc group of interested parties, led by Debra Allison of
MCIS, has been meeting since autumn to explore various strategic
options.  Recently, we have had presentations on SoftSwitch (a
turnkey document translation and e-mail redirection server, among
other things) and IMAP / POP options.  Information regarding these
topics can be accessed by retrieving archival logfiles for the
MUEMail list.  (For a listing of the available files, send the
command INDEX MUEMAIL as the body of an e-mail message to
[log in to unmask]  If you need assistance, please e-mail me at
JBHarlan@MiaVX1 or call me at x5330.)

By adding newsgroup mu.electronic-mail and gatewaying it to the
existing MUEMail list, we hope to further open the e-mail strategic
discussions to the general University community.  We welcome your
participation and input as we work together to improve electronic
mail service to all of Miami University.

John

--

John B Harlan     Campus Wide Information System (CWIS) Coordinator
                  Miami Computing & Information Services (MCIS)