MUTALK Archives

April 1995

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 02:50:33 -0500
In article <1995Apr12.160153.43524@miavx1>, [log in to unmask]
(Democ) writes:
> THE LESBIAN AVENGERS
>
> - wants to shock and educate you
>    (Looking up the work "shock" in the Websters dictionary at MacCraken, it
>     listed four different definitions as a verb.  The "kindest" definition of
>     the word is "To disgust".  This seems not to be a good goal to me.)

CAn't win them all...

> - thinks the word 'Redskins' is offensive
>    (What does this have to do with the group.  I don't mind the viewpoint, I
>     just don't see how that relates to Lesbianism)

This is for their Broomball team, probably...  The REdHawk Lesbian Avengers.
It's only a guess though.

> - wants a course curriculum that represents and respects queer culture, art,
>   and experience
>    (fair enough.  this makes sense and is definitely a reasonable demand)

They use the word "queer"?  And they want to seem PC????
Better show them the afore-mentioned DIctionary...

> - wants you to recycle
>    (fair enough, but how is this relevant to your group?)

Hmm, when you throw away your lover, make sure they have someone to fall back
on?  Just a guess.

> - is outraged at anti-lesbian violence and hate crimes.
>    (fair enough)

Of COURSE!  They're the AVENGERS!  (In California, they're the "West Coast
LEsbian Avengers."  I think the ones at this school would qualify as "Great
Lakes Lesbian Avengers"...  REad MArvel COmics, you'll catch the joke.)

> - wants everyone to practice safer sex
>    (good)

RIght on, gang, right on...

> - wants to recruit you
>    (here is the biggie.  First of all sense I am male, does TLA want to
recruit
>      me?  Secondly, why would they want to "recruit" people to TLA?
>      Especially, those who do not fit the definition of Lesbian?  Is it a
goal
>      of that organization to try to "change" women who are straight to become
>      lesbians?  I do not know the ties between this group and the GLBA, but I
>      know the GLBA strives to emphasize they are not out to change you (this
is
>      just from people I have talked to in the group, I don't know if that is
an
>      official stance.)

Yeah, what would they think about a "Male, heterosexual Lesbian Avenger"
anyway?

> It is the TLA's right if these are there opinions, but I lose a lot of
respect
> for them for having them.

And the College REpublicans should miind their own beeswax.

-Cheese (Damn I hated the CR posters...  I thought the chalk LA writings a few
months ago outside Bachelor were neat though...)