MU-VMS Archives

July 1995

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dave Munday <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University VMS Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 23:57:50 -0500
Munday) writes:
>> I had a problem the other day exiting news with my quota being exceeded.
>> I spawned out of news and looked around to see what was taking up the space.
>> I had a number or files NEWS_*.tmp some of which were LARGE.
>> This was what had exceeded my quota.
>
> Those files are temporary images on the news file that you just spawned out
of,
> if I am correct.  Kind of a placeholder.
>
>> How can I avoid this problem?
>
> Don't spawn out of news so often?  I dunno ...
>
> ~Drew

Well the quota was blown before I spawned out.  I discovered it when I was
unable to rewrite the newsrc file.  I assume therefore that the .tmp files were
there before I spawned out.  They probably are created when the news software
gets the files from the nntp machine over the local net.

The problem then is to keep from blowing your quota by reading a LARGE posting.

--
Dave Munday  -  [log in to unmask]
PP-ASEL  -  Tandem Flybaby Builder  -  EAA-284 (Waynesville, OH) Pres.