MUMODEMS Archives

July 1995

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 11:19:58 EST
In article <1995Jul15.235455@miavx1>, [log in to unmask] (Oleg
Chetverikov) writes:
> To John Harlan, or Kent Covert,
> or someone who can help me out,
>
> I can not download binary files from VAX to my PC. I give "kermit -i" command
> start kermit, or I set the file type to binary while I am in Kermit in VAX. I
> also set the transfer parameters to "binary" on my comm software. I check the
> parameters by "show" command in VAX, and it says "binary fixed".  But the
> strange thing is that it says "text" after I have downloaded. And the
> downloaded file is corrupt.  I used Procom Plus and Kermit 3.14 and this
> problem occurs in both cases. The funny thing is that it works fine with IBM
> mainframe. No problem with downloading. I have being FTPing binary stuff to
the
> mainframe to download it, but I am sure something could be done to download
> from the VAX. There are no problems with downloading text, just binaries.
> Please explain what I am doing wrong.
>                                            Oleg Chetverikov
>                                            odchetve@miavx1

        One of my users was complaining about the same thing
        the other day.  He also said he explicitly typed
        set file type binary on the VAX side, but didn't
        have a similar setting on his non-kermit client
        side.  The receiving side sets the transfer options,
        right?

        Anyway, I have not been able to reproduce the error
        on my old version of procomm plus or version 3.14 of
        mskermit.
--
Bill Sylvester, Miami University         [log in to unmask]