MGTDEV-L Archives

April 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 18:42:15 -0500
SYNERGY-NET on http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump

RE: The governing issue of our times: BLUE SKY Paradigms,
Learning Organizations.

Rapid change under competitive conditions require very smart
maneuvers, if we don't move fast enough, someone will. It's
almost impossible to maintain a "franchise" and control shifting
markets. For many products and services the market is neonate,
not quite born, so products and services have to be created out
of the "blue sky".

What we know and can ( more or less agree about ):

There is a significant change from "X" factories ( top-down,
separation of thinking and doing, bureaucratic, position and
power often goal replaces quality. Not quite honest, sincere, but
out for the "bottom line".

The fifth wave ( Tribal, Ancient Empires, Nation States, 1st and
2nd Industrial Revolutions, now "information societies" ) is
open, global, competitive, fast, sincere, honest, collective
responsibility, teams, and the Quality that grows from such
"learning systems". Liberty, equality, and fraternity, become
open decisions (participation), objective reasons, (rather than
power) and joyful esprit de corps.

The Fidelity Funds, Magellan managers, (Lynch) visited firms.
What they looked for was honest, dedicated, and talented people.
The quality of the people ( at all levels ) made for successful
companies ( in the long run) and the strategy produced the most
successful mutual fund.( Peter's Search for Excellence, named
firms, almost all over the hump, and on the way down. They had
out lived their reputations ) Maybe I should do an index of
quality firms for investment purposes. Figures don't lie, but
liars sure can figure.

What we don't know and can't agree about:

Can you train and direct responsibility ? Can you leave the
choice of goals and well as methods "open"? How do you structure
freedom, organize liberty, direct team work and manage creativity
? There is clearly an interesting contradiction here.

Let go of ego - give up - of the bottom line ?
of control, give up "hope" ?
Hope = expect = require = demands = being understood = rewards =
punishments = demands = the harder you push the more resistance
you feel..but I am the teacher.. I am the boss.. I provide and
example ... leadership...( but it's just too hard - I give up )

Silence........

Any questions,
Any Answers ?

Stretch, TONE, relax, clam down ----
Focus on little things - your toes.. smaller, smaller

I don't care, why should I, (dance through your own hoops)

I AM GOD (The perfect creation of a loving universes -
indifferent to my petty needs, wants, desires, cares, positions )

Integration of body/mind/soul and discovery of WHAT MATTERS -
what really matters ? What if my central skill, product, service
that is my living is being replaced ? I am being "down-sized".

SYNERGY-NET on http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump
** Peter E. Pflaum Ph.D. , Headmaster GLOBAL_VILLAGE_SCHOOLHOUSE
225 Robinson Road, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169-2176 (904) 428-9609

SYNERGY-NET on http://emporium.turnpike.net/~pflaump or
http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaum [log in to unmask]