CONNELLS Archives

August 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Adam Shore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:19:53 -0400
OK, maybe I posted that response too soon, because it seems Sean Cook is
quite unhappy.  Sean, so much venom for a first post; I do wish it was the
band's music inspired you to post so enthusiatically and not this banal
confusion.  Sean, let's seperate perception from the truth.  The Connells
make a very determined effort, in their touring especially, to target the
college market.  We do the same with numerous college marketing,
promotional, radio and local rep stategies.

How could TVT, or any record company, not send out promo copies of new
albums?  How could radio stations play it, retailers know what it sounds
like, and writers write about without sending out promos?  We have sent out
more promo copies of Weird Food than you can imagine.  Michelle Ferguson
was a very expensive publicist we hired to handle the Ring media campaign.
She was given a large allotment of CDs to give to the media.  If someone
here referred you to Michelle, and it was most likely me, it was so
Michelle could handle your interest from beginning to end.  Michelle is not
a Connells promoter (well, I guess you could say we are all Connells'
promoters), she was their publicist, hired to take care of writers like you
and their requests.

We do college mailings for all our appropriate albums, and have set up
several interviews with our bands for the Clemson Tiger over the years.

Anyone else?

-Adam

>Sender:       The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
>Poster:       Sean Cook <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      TVT, etc...
>
>Hello to all.  I am new to the list, and have been reading up on the recent
>topics of discussion.  I thought I'd get a feel for things before joining in.
>
>One topic that piqued my interest was the criticism toward TVT Records, and
>the response from TVT's defenders.  As a former college entertainment
>editor/reviewer, I can tell you that TVT is getting flak because it deserves
>it.  I had contact with over 50 different record labels during my 2 years at
>Clemson University's newspaper, the Tiger, and I never talked with anyone as
>disinterested in helping me, as I did with the people from TVT records.
>
>When I called to get info on Ring, I was told that TVT did not send out
>promo copies of albums, and that I would have to contact the Connells
>promoter, Michelle Ferguson.  Michelle was very helpful, and set up
>interview opportunities  for me with the band, and sent copies of the cd,
>and oodles of promotional stuff, which was extremely helpful.  She was great!
>
>TVT was the only large label to EVER tell me they didn't send out promos on
>request, and direct me toward the band's promoter.  They did this when I
>made inquiries about Nine Inch Nails, as well.
>
>Speaking of Nine Inch Nails--now, there is another unhappy  act, which is
>trying to fulfill a contract and be done with it.  Trent Reznor has been
>open with his discontent with the label, and it is my understanding is that
>"Happiness in Slavery" was his attempt to get that across, and not just
>another demented song.  Who knows if this is right?  But I can tell you one
>thing.  Artists are not the only ones who don't think much of TVT.  A lot of
>reviewer-types think the label could get a clue and do a much better job.
>
>sean cook
>Sean Cook, Coordinator for Nittany Apartments, Penn State U.
>127 Pollock Commons, University Park  PA  16801
>office: (814) 865-0633, fax: 863-2463, e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>"With electric eyes I'm standing on the edge of now."-Danielle Howle

Adam Shore
TVT Records/Wax Trax! Records/Blunt Recordings/TVT Soundtrax
23 East 4th Street
New York, NY 10003
212-979-6410 phone
212-979-6489 fax