CONNELLS Archives

September 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Patchy Groundfog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:53:37 -0400
jbn wrote:
> It just hit me. How come they never had a solo in their songs? Perhaps there i
> a small one in a couple of songs, but I really can't think of any "great" one.
> I mean, they are quite good musicians, I guess both George and Mike can produc
> something good. Ok, Jimi Hendrix is dead but...
>
> Anyone?
>
> .jbn.

Some may disagree, but my observation is that many post-punk and/or
college-oriented bands eschew the traditional guitar solo a la Jimmy
Page for the simple reason that it's been done and it's more than a bit
of a cliche.

I've been playing guitar for what seems like forever, and though I enjoy
tasty licks as much as the next guy, they don't always advance the song,
and in some cases they detract from the "line" of a song.

As far as the Connells their own selves, their stuff often features a
theme riff played high up the neck ("Upside Down," "Carry My Picture"),
and if noodling is a must-have, I'd rather have it fit into the
framework of a song.

BTW, George can sling an axe it with the best of them, and Mike's
songwriting ability is unquestioned, so I say leave the shredding to
Metallica.
--

===> Brad