CONNELLS Archives

November 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Art Jipson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 01:27:55 -0500
Please distribute widely...

Sociology of the Third-World:  Experience Nepal
Sociology 499/599 at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio

A six-week, twelve credit course that runs from mid-May (05-15-97) to Late
June (06-29-29).  Last year 16 students from several different universities
traveled to Nepal.

The course is designed to enable student to gain positive experience and
knowledge outside of the conventional classroom.  Students travel to
Kathmandu, Nepal where they gain an understanding and appreciation of the
social, cultural, and political values and organizations of people in a
non-Western culture.  The course is conducted in one of South Asia's most
ancient and traditional cultures.  Along with the development of Nepali
language skills, the course will provide the student with an in-depth
overview of Nepali culture, history, and experience.

Students who wish to take part must make a firm commitment by December 15,
1996.

Any students are allowed to go.  The program cost for out-of-state graduate
students is about $5,500 (US).  This includes tuition, room and board,
transportation, airfare, and the like.  Students often bring spending money
and books with them.  We recommend a minimum of $300 (US) spending money.
You can get credit for the program in sociology (4 HOURS) and anthropology
(8 HOURS).  Half of the 4 credit hours can be applied to other majors at
Miami University, Oxford, Ohio.

The program is a 6-Week intensive course in Nepali culture and experience.
You will receive extension language and cultural training from Nepalese
teachers. Part of the program includes a placement with a Nepalese family
after your language and culture training.  The last week of the program
includes a hike in the beautiful Nepalese mountain chain.

The application process is as follows:

A firm committment by December 15, 1996 to me (Art Jipson).  Travel fee to
the sociology department around mid-December (the travel fee is around
$1500-1600 (US).  And the checks should be made out to Miami UNiversity.
Note that it is for the Neapl program on the check.  The remainder of the
fee is due in April.  The sociology department makes all of the travel
arrangements and I will travel with you folks to escort you to Nepal.
Usually what happens is that we make all of the travel arrangements
including getting you to the New York airport or wherever we take off from
the United States. From there we fly to Bangkok, Thailand and then from
there to Kathmandu.  Normally, we try and get the group together at the
Cincinnati, Ohio, airport and go from there.

You need a passport (you take care of this) and you will also need some
vacinations (we will pass a list to you).  We will take care of your visa -
you send us the fee, a picture, and completed visa form.

We will also need your contact information - home, parents, etc...  We will
provide you with an information sheet about the country after you register
for the program.

If interested or for more information, please contact me.  Thanks.

Art Jipson
Department of Sociology, Gerontology, and Anthropology
Upham Hall
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056
513-529-2637 (o)
513-529-2628 (d)
513-529-8525 (f)
Me:  http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~ajjipson
NCSA:  http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~ajjipson/NCSA.htmlx
Connells:  http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~ajjipson/connells.htmlx
   "What goes wrong, your causing it." - J. Farrar