CONNELLS Archives

January 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Lee Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 19:04:37 -0500
I found this through DejaNews:

It's about a show that took place a few nights back in Raleigh. I was not
there.

<<Man, I got rocked.

I got rocked harder than I have been in a long long time.  If you missed
Peterbuilt and Hell's Belles at the Brewery, I dunno, go spank yourself or
something.
We pulled into the Brewery around 10:30 just in time to see Hell's Belles
take the stage.  I guess I'm glad these guys were in drag simply because
this band is composed of some of the ugliest boys I've seen in a while.
Eek.  "Bonnie Scott" and "Agnes Young" did a great job convincing me that
AC/DC actually writes good rock songs but takes themselves far too
seriously.  Approached from this angle, the music was easily more
listenable.  I hate AC/DC passionately and yet I had a ball listening to
these guys, er, gals.  The guy doing lead vocals did a frighteningly good
job reproducing Bon Scott's screechings.
Peterbuilt came on shortly after midnight to a packed house.  The lineup
consisted of Jon Heames on bass, Bo Taylor, Audley Freed and Mitch Easter
on guitars and the drummer from Trucker.  After seeing this show, I can
honestly say that I never want to see Peterbuilt again - anything else
will ring hollow after the way they kicked my ass tuesday night.  There
was this amazing ferocity and attack and overwhelming testosterone in
their playing that night.
The line-up meshed remarkably well - they sounded like they'd been playing
together for a while, but knowing the caliber of musicians these guys are,
they probably didn't even rehearse.  This show did more to affirm to me
just how good Jon Heames is at anything he does.  Mitch was in fine form -
he led the band on a couple of numbers and showed everybody he can riff
with the best of 'em.  Audley was just up there having a ball - Chip
Robinson was down in front of him probably egging him on.  Audley had
people staring silly during "Little Miss Lover."
Towards the end of the evening, Doug MacMillan from the Connells joined
the band onstage for a few numbers, most notably Black Sabbath's
"Paranoid."  Definitely surreal - you could tell these guys were seriously
delving back into high school for the evening.  For those that were
willing stay into the wee hours, it was a religious experience, to say the
least.
I think the Indy did a real disservice to Hell's Belles by calling them an
"AC/DC tribute band."  But by stripping the music of all the pretense
AC/DC represents, these guys made their music listenable for me.  Both
bands approached each song with the proper amounts of reverence and
mockery and pulled it off with such *balls*.  I think the trick was that
no one on stage took themselves seriously during any part of the evening,
while still making everything look oh so easy.
Come on.  Mitch Easter doing "We're Gonna Groove" and "Dancing Days" by
Led Zeppelin?  You just had to be there.
Eric >>