RISE Archives

February 1997

RISE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Doris Bergen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:03:37 EST
Nancy: I think I answered some of your questions in my email answering Suzanne'
s however, here are my answers to you (which I hope everyone will read):

     You should attend 1 teacher workshop after teleconference 1 and 1
teacher workshop after teleconference 2. (There are none after teleconference
3) The purpose of attending these is to document what occurred at the workshop
so that we can explain changes (if they occur). Also, after each teacher
workshop, you are to interview all the teachers in your teams (after they have
attended their workshop). I asked the facilitators to tell us which workshops
each team would attend. However, they said they usually don't know because the
teachers have a choice so I think you will still have to get that information
from the research team members. We will give you the interview for the second
after workshop interview when we meet in Columbus. (We gave you the first set
of questions -for the first after workshop interview-at our last meeting). We
will do an extensive interview/survey of teachers and parents after the 3rd
  teleconference. Remember your teachers are to give out the parent survey,
which we faxed to you, at their parent workshops and collect them at the end
of the workshop and give those to you also. There will be a second parent
survey to use after the second parent workshop, which we will give you at our
next meeting.

2In regard to the coaching, your only tasks are to get one of your videotaping
sessions when coach is present for all centers getting coaching and to be sure
that the coaches give you notes/audiotapes and teacher permission forms (or
they can send them to us directly - just remind them to do that). If you review
the document entitled "mentoring" you will note that after each coaching
session the coach and teacher meet for 1/2 hour. Those sessions are what we
want the notes/tapes for so we can know what is occuring in coaching (e.g.,
plans for curriculum, specific advice). The purpose of that is to document the
process to explain changes (if they occur). You don't have to be present for
those sessions, just be sure we get the information from them.
      If you have further questions, just let me know. I'm glad to answer them
because it is very important that we are clear on what we are doing, given the
surrounding uncertainty/flexibility of the training project.