WIMSE Archives

April 1997

WIMSE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jan Yarrison-Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 13:03:51 -500
Discussion Topic Thoughts

Did anyone read the Miami Mitamsa (MU Women's Center Newsletter)
for Jan/Feb 1997?  There was a thought-provoking article written
by Kisha Moore a Junior Political Science Major inthe One WOman's
Voice section.  Kisha talks about race relations at Miami University
from her perspective.  She offers a few ideas, to quote ...

   "One thing that perplexes me the most is the way we deal with each
other.  For example, in one of my freshman classes, the teacher got on
the topic of racism (I was the only black in the class).
  'Kisha, how do they feel?  Who are they?' (She meant black people)
   Once again, I am asked to answer for an entire population of
black people.  I can't do that and I won't.  Why is there curiousity
but no questions asked?
    See, often the way we act toward people is the way we are
approaced.  It is a reaction to the way we are treated by people.
Oxford is a small college town where we are ounumbered 20 to one.
Adjustment is not easy, and when we are treated as a minority
then it causes resentment."

Later she says....
   "Black people are not unapproachable - you just need to be open-
minded.  You have to try to get to know a person before you can judge
them."

And...
   "This is what race relations should be all about.  It should be
about trying to understand."

Finally...
     "Race relations should also be a learning process.  We should
be able to learn about their people's cultures and have respect
for them.  Race relations will not change unless you are willing
and able to change along with it"

Excerpts from "One Woman's Voice," Miami Mitamsa by Kisha Moore, p.7

This article really got me thinking.  As a faculty member, do I
single out students of color or with other differences?  Can we
celebrate differences without creating negative or ill feelings?

There are NO easy answers.... but as a scientist, I like to think
that if I continue to read and study the problem and put some
ideas I get into action, I will be able to make my classroom
 friendly and comfortable  for most students.

Does anyone have any practical suggestion toward meeting that goal?
Student can probable tell us faculty the most important things we
need to focus on (or watch out for) in a class.

Jan Yarrison-Rice

Associate Professor
Physics Department
Miami University