CONNELLS Archives

July 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tracey Dittoe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:51:13 -0400
Possibly (more than likely) I did not explain myself well on the subject
of bootlegging.  First of all, I still believe that bootlegs do not,
for the most part, take away from sales of legitimate merchandise.  It
is possible that loss of revenue for certain bands is due to a loss
of popularity resulting in lack of sales, and not other, more sinister
reasons.  I also have a real problem with the original artists not receiving
money for what they have created.  But, see it from a fans perspective--when
you really like a band, you want everything that you can get your hands on.
Like I said, I haven't bought a bootleg in years, because I don't have the
money to spend on a product that may (most likely is) inferior in quality, and
not sanctioned by the artist/s.  My kneejerk reaction was to live concert
material bootlegs, not what was probably involved in the case that Art was
alerting us to.  And of course, I don't even have any live Connells material!
My main point was that the time that the investigators were spending could
have been spent on more troubling crimes than bootlegging--again, just my
opinion, and probably an erroneous one.

Tracey