SCHOLEAD Archives

November 1997

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Meg McGrath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:09:34 -0600
hey there all-
refer back to martin luther king, jr. in one of his letters from jail in
birmingham.  he draws a definite line between just and unjust laws.  if a
law is just, it is the responsibility of the people to obey that law.  it
is part of the deal of citizenship.  however, if a law is unjust (that is,
if a numerical or power majority group compels a minority group to obey but
does not make binding on itself) it need not be heeded.  difference should
never be made legal.  we must all be willing to follow and adhere to the
laws set forth if they are indeed just.  this is not a statement for or
against the drug issue.  let me leave you with these words of mlk . . . i
submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is
unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to
arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality
expressing the highest respect for the law.

that is all
smile and have a superb evening!    =-)
megan- and no, i do not smoke or burn books, now grover- that is another story