SCHOLEAD Archives

November 1997

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Zimmerman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:41:00 -0500
Dear Stelliot Residents,
    Hi...this is Mike Zimmerman, live from my desk in 201.  I just
wanted to drop some comments about the Scholar Leader information
sessions (one was held Monday and the other one is tomorrow evening).  I
was in attendance as I plan on applying for the program this year.  I
also knew some of the others who were there.  I don't want to sound like
a critical jerk but I was not at all impressed with the
presentation...had I not been already in the community, I would have
nearly been turned off.  Tonight, my roommate Nick told me that he
talked to some of the people who were there and they were seriously
considering not applying anymore.  Another of my friends said that she
knew someone who was not going to apply because of the meeting.  I
realize that this meeting was an informal one and not meant to be an
indepth and straining lecture but it seemed to me as if all the Scholar
Leader community did was screw around and have fun.  Yes, we do have our
fun but I think that there is also a little more here than that.  Maybe
some of you agree.  I did not see an attitude among the people giving
the presentation as one of wanting to sell the program or attract other
students to it.  If I had to choose a word to describe the meeting it
would be this...goofy.  I am not trying to attack anyone...I just wanted
to give my two cents so that maybe this will not occur tomorrow night.
Signing off,
Mike Zimmerman

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
-----The Power and the Passion, Midnight Oil