SCHOLEAD Archives

November 1997

SCHOLEAD@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scholar Leaders at Miami University (Ohio USA)
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 00:39:40 -0500
yet another entry from yours truly, the host with the most, jon "controversy
rules" eaton.  okay, about the topic du jour:
i find the backlash to aucoin's joke unfounded in my opinion, especially
because i received this very same poem last year, forwarded from two of my
black friends who said they found it hilarious. maybe im just a caveman, but i
think that if they think its not too bad, even funny, that maybe we might be a
little too sensitive? of course, i cant say for sure because i dont speak
ebonics, if there were jokes i perceived to be against me on the listserve i
might be mad too, but because two representatives of a population that may be
offended actually sent me this joke, i have a hard time believing its very bad,
at all. that was a run on sentence, i apologize.  anyway, i believe that we
should try to have more fun in here. im not advocating reckless abuse of
freedom of speech, but i think that sometimes a joke is just that and not a
means to harass someone or belittle their culture. send me jokes about dumb
blondes and idiotic fraternity guys and prove me wrong. see y'all,
only 41 more shopping days until christmas-jonnie eaton