CSCAISGC Archives

December 1997

CSCAISGC@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Paul Mongeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CSCA Interpersonal & Small Group Communication <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 09:12:04 EST
Listmembers - News of a new NCA division of interest to group members.  PM

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:10:20 -0600
From: Lawrence Frey <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: Congratulations on New Division

Dear Group Communication Scholar,

Congratulations!  As many of you who attended the National
Communication Association Convention already know, the NCA
Legislative Committee voted unanimously for the immediate creation of a
Group Communication Division.  Given the difficulty of getting all the LC
members to agree on anything, this is quite an accomplishment.

Thanks to all of you who helped by signing the petition to support the
division.  And now we really need your help in a number of important
ways.

First, we would ask you to please join the Group Communication Division
formally when renewing your NCA membership.  We currently are
checking with the national office about how people can join immediately,
and as soon as we know, I will pass on that information.  You may also
know many other people who might wish to join, and please encourage
them to do so.

Second, we urge you to send in paper, panel, and/or poster proposals
for the 1998 NCA Convention in New York.  Scott Poole has volunteered
to receive submissions for that convention, and I volunteered to receive
submissions for the 1999 convention.  (We have to have the paperwork
in for the 1999 convention within two weeks, which is why we had to
have an immediate contact name.)  Scott currently is putting together the
call for submissions for the New Your Convention, and I will send that
out to the members of this email list as soon as he has it done.  The
deadline for submissions will be February 15, 1998.  All submissions
will be reviewed by external reviewers (neither Joann Keyton, Scott, nor
I will evaluate them), and we will be calling on many of you to help with
the review process.

Third, we will hold our first Business Meeting in New York, and we need
people to attend to help structure the division with regard to officers,
By-Laws (Scott, Joann, and I will work on a preliminary draft), and lots
of other matters.  I am also trying to arrange a reception for our new
division.

Thanks to everyone, again, for all your help.  The creation of this division
is an important affirmation of the importance of group communication
within our discipline.  And now it's time to move forward with the work
of our division.  So please start planning your submissions for the 1998
NCA Convention in New York.

Sincerely,

Larry Frey
Department of Communication